qathet Regional District Receives Provincial and Federal Funding to Help Build Northside Community Recreation Centre Addition

Lund, BC – The qathet Regional District (qRD) is pleased to announce our success in securing grant funding up to $4,199,082 through the Investing in Canada Infrastructure Program – Community, Culture and Recreation Infrastructure Stream to construct an attached addition to the Northside Community Recreation Centre, located at 9656 Larson Road. The Investing in Canada Infrastructure Program is funded by the Government of Canada and the Province of British Columbia.


The new Northside Community Recreation Centre addition will provide an additional 6920 square footage of shared program space, which includes a half court gymnasium, stage, accessible washrooms, and reception area as well as an updated commercial kitchen within the existing building. The facility will be fully accessible to pedestrians, wheelchairs and strollers.


“This addition to the Northside Community Recreation Centre is a win-win for the qathet Regional District and its residents,” said Nicholas Simons, Minister of Social Development and Poverty Reduction. “Investments in infrastructure build vibrant communities and I’m excited to see this major addition become a reality.”


Based on a feasibility study, the new building is estimated to cost between $4 million and $5.7 million. $569,184 of the Northside Recreation non-statutory reserve are planned to be used to help offset project costs.


The Investing in Canada Infrastructure Program – Community, Culture and Recreation Infrastructure Stream runs on a cost share basis with Canada and British Columbia combining to contribute 73.33 per cent of the eligible project cost and the qRD required to contribute the remaining 26.67 per cent, plus any overruns. To proceed with collecting the project funding, the qRD will need to borrow up to $1.1 million from the Municipal Finance Authority.


The Northside Recreation Loan Authorization Bylaw, which is required in order to borrow funds for the project from the Municipal Finance Authority, details the loan amounts, payments and term of the loan. The bylaw is currently at third reading and has received provincial statutory approval. Financing debt payments are proposed over a 30 year period to minimize the annual impact on residential tax rates. Pending final costing, which includes building construction and the amount of debt financing required, annual debt payments are projected between $34,000 and $69,000. The annual debt payments will result in an increase in the residential tax rate per $100,000 of property value for all property owners within the Northside Recreation service area. The next step for the project and in accepting the funds will be for the qRD to seek approval from the community to commit to borrowing up to $1.1 million.


“Thanks to the ongoing support from Tla’amin Nation, the Lund Community Society, and members of the public, a plan was developed to replace the old community hall gymnasium which was lost to private ownership and deterioration,” stated Regional Board Chair and Electoral Area A Director Patrick Brabazon. “This new addition will provide a hub for Lund and the surrounding community members to host concerts, plays and sporting activities closer to home, year-round.”


For more information on the Northside Community Recreation Centre please visit


The qRD serves the rural areas from Lund to Saltery Bay including the City of Powell River, Texada, Savary and Lasqueti Islands and provides some services, through contract, to Tla’amin Nation. To learn more please visit


Patrick Devereaux, Manager of Operational Services
#202 – 4675 Marine Avenue
Powell River, BC V8A 2L2
(604) 485-2260