POWELL RIVER, BC – An anonymous donor has provided the qathet Regional District (qRD) and the Northside Community Recreation Service Area with a generous $100,000 donation pledge to support the Lund Community Centre addition project.
Based on a feasibility study, the new addition is estimated to cost between $4 million and $5.7 million. The qRD has secured grant funding of up to $4,199,082 through the Investing in Canada Infrastructure Program – Community, Culture and Recreation Infrastructure Stream which will cover 73.33 per cent of eligible project costs. The remaining 26.67 percent plus any overruns or ineligible costs, estimated at $1.7 million, will need to be covered by the Northside Community Recreation Service Area. The Northside Community Recreation Service Area has been saving for this project and has approximately $532,814 available in reserves.
The qRD is facilitating an Alternate Approval Process (AAP) in the Northside Community Recreation Service Area to seek elector approval to borrow up to $1.1 million from the Municipal Finance Authority of BC over 30 years, to support construction of an addition to the Lund Community Centre, located at 9656 Larson Road. This $100,000 donation pledge, along with any additional donations received, will reduce the amount required to borrow for this project. For more information regarding the AAP, please visit qathet.ca/northside-recreation-community-centre-addition/.
The donor, a resident in the Northside Community Recreation Service Area, stated that the $100,000 donation is contingent on the Lund Community Centre addition project proceeding.
“We are humbled by this substantial donation pledge to support the Lund Community Centre’s addition,” stated Electoral Area A Director Jason Lennox. “This extraordinary gift helps to ensure the Lund Community Centre remains a community treasure for future generations.”
If you are interested in donating to this project, the qRD is a qualified donee with Revenue Canada and is able to accept financial gifts on behalf of the project. The qRD will provide donation receipts for tax purposes.
About the qathet Regional District:
The qathet Regional District serves the rural areas from Lund to Saltery Bay including the City of Powell River, Texada, Savary and Lasqueti Islands and provides some services, through contract, to Tla’amin Nation. To learn more please visit qathet.ca.
Michelle Jones, Manager of Administrative Services
#202 – 4675 Marine Avenue
Powell River, BC V8A 2L2