Across qathet Regional District, the Electoral Areas each have an Official Community Plan (OCP) bylaw which establishes a community vision for land use. The OCP bylaw includes map designations and policies to guide future development.
A zoning bylaw provides a tool to implement the Official Community Plan (OCP) bylaw by regulating land uses. Zoning bylaws can be used to regulate land use, provide regulatory guidance to future land use, and provide clarity on what future land uses may be permitted in a zone. Zoning bylaws have been established in parts of Electoral Areas A, B, and D, but not yet in Area C. A zoning bylaw regulates the land identified in the zoning bylaw, but not beyond its boundaries.
There are many ways to provide your input on the zoning bylaw process:
- Resident Engagement Distribution List will provide key dates and ways to participate – contact Planning staff at firstname.lastname@example.org or 604-485-2260 ext. 221 to add your email to the distribution list
- Introductory Virtual Meeting was held on Tuesday, April 20, 2021 at 7pm to discuss the zoning bylaw process, what the range of zoning regulatory tools include, and hear directly from residents about neighbourhood land use priorities (click here to see the virtual meeting presentation)
- Survey to help shape what your neighbourhood zoning bylaw could regulate (click here to see the results of the survey)
- Website updates: this page will provide updates on the process and progress
- Draft Zoning Bylaw No. 1 Review will provide opportunity to review a draft zoning bylaw and provide feedback
- Draft Zoning Bylaw Virtual Meeting on Tuesday, July 6, 2021 at 7pm to discuss the draft bylaw and gather resident feedback (click here to see the virtual meeting presentation)
- Open House was held on Tuesday, August 24, 2021 between 6:30pm and 8pm at the qRD Maintenance Facility, 2815 McCausland Road, to review the findings of the public engagement and revised draft zoning bylaw
- Draft Zoning Bylaw No. 2 Review the revisions based on feedback received (click here for the Aug 24 revised draft bylaw)
- Public Hearing is held by the Regional Board to receive public input prior to adoption of the zoning bylaw
Contact Planning Staff by email at email@example.com or by phone at 604-485-2260.